Saturday, September 28, 2013

Move over hummus... there's a new high-protein dip in town

Check out this recipe on my new and improved website: thewalkingcookbook.com


Greetings, cooks! In case you think I have disappeared, I have not! But the school year has begun, redirecting my memorizing efforts to new student names, seating charts, and who has mastered the difference between ser and estar (I am a Spanish teacher, and here's the answer in case you are feeling curious). I continue to cook, however, and once I get back into my teaching groove, my recipe memorization groove will follow close after. Until then, I will try to keep up blogging with some fun little recipes that I either encounter or invent.

Today I bring you my new favorite high-protein snack: Eggamole. OK... that is the only time I am going to call it that, because it sounds kind of gross. But what is a girl to do when she craves guacamole and opens both avocados to find out that they are not good? First, she puts the bad avo in her new favorite place: the food scrap bin!* Then, she stares at the hard-boiled egg sitting in her fridge and says, "I can make guacamole out of you." Fortunately nobody is home to hear this conversation.

After my pep talk with the egg, I got out all of my quick guac fixins (I have a number of guacamole styles) and mashed them all together with the egg. The end result was definitely not guacamole, but I was really excited about how delicious it was. The lime juice cut through a lot of the sulfuric egg flavor and the cilantro kept it fresh. A little sprinkle of salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper provided just enough zest to round out the flavor without that lingering garlic taste.

Nutritionally speaking, it is quite healthy: 72 calories, 5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein for one egg's worth of the dip (2 WW points for you, Mom!). Pair it with tortilla chips to negate all of that information, or enjoy it with some crudités and be truly nutritious! 

Here's the less-than-scientific recipe. Modify as you see fit, and remember that you can always add more seasoning, but it is really hard to take away.




Cilantro-Lime Healthy Egg Salad
By The Walking Cookbook
Yield: about 1/2 cup

Ingredients:

  • 1 hard boiled egg (this is a good recipe, though I usually only let them sit for 10 minutes)
  • 1-2 tsp lime juice
  • 1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of garlic powder
  • dusting of cayenne pepper
  • For dipping: tortilla chips or crunchy veggie slices
Preparation:
  • Put the egg in a bowl and add all the other ingredients.
  • With the back of a fork, mash the egg until the yolk is scattered and the egg whites are broken into little bits. The mixture should be mildly spreadable.
  • Taste and adjust seasoning.
  • Dip away!
Let me know if you discover any extra mix-ins for this recipe, and happy cooking!



*I recently learned that food scraps can be saved in the freezer (no smell or bugs!) and taken to a variety of GreenMarkets in the NYC area. It is a new effort on my part, and in one month I have already rerouted over 5 pounds of vegetable peels, banana skins, egg shells, pistachio shells, and coffee grounds to the city's compost heaps rather than the landfill. Of course, the goal is to reduce even that number by making use of every part of a plant and not letting things go bad, but it's an improvement nevertheless! Here's where I collect my scraps to freeze until drop-off day: 

1 comment:

  1. I created a very similar recipe and thought you and your readers might like to learn about it.
    I have a blog post about Egg-amole, with a bit of a twist, given my secret ingredient. Check it out at Cooking the Kitchen, and enjoy.
    When my son was in grade school, the class spent a whole semester on creation stories. I was not familiar with the concept of multiple creation stories, each culture throughout the world, having its own version. The culmination to this study, was to have each child write and illustrate their own creation story. It was fascinating, to both my son, and to me, as I think I learned along with him, as much as he did. This is a creation story of sorts. It is my story of how the Eggamole and Spinach Bruschetta came into being.

    ReplyDelete