Monday, July 30, 2012

Master Plan

Alright, ladies and gentlemen... I know that we are all busy. So this blog is going to be short and sweet (or sometimes savory) each week. So you don't get lost, I'll clue you in on the process.

The Plan:

1. Each week I pick a dish from my enormous list of foods that I love (aka: anything pescatarian) and want to learn to make by heart.

2. At the beginning of the week I search my favorite cookbooks and cooking websites for the best, no-nonsense recipe for that dish.

3. Throughout the week I memorize the recipe. I live in New York City, so this will probably be my public transit reading. I want to know these suckers like the back of my hand!

4. At the end of the week, it's time to take off the training wheels. I will grocery shop and prepare the dish totally sans recipe. Come what may, I will eat it and report back the good, the bad, and the lessons learned.

The List (alphabetical, with completed recipes crossed out):

·  aioli
·  alfredo sauce
·  babaganoush
·  bagel
·  bechamel sauce
·  beurre blanc sauce
·  biscuits & gravy
·  bisque
·  bread
·  burger/patty/ball (how to bind)
·  caramel
·  caesar dressing
·  cake
·  ceviche
·  chili
·  chimichurri sauce
·  chutney
·  clam chowder
·  clams
·  cookies: chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar, oatmeal raisin
·  coulis
·  crab cake
·  cranberry sauce
·  creme brulee
·  crepe
·  curry
·  custard
·  deviled eggs
·  eggplant parmesan
·  empanada
·  french toast
·  fresh pasta
·  frosting
·  gnocchi
·  hollandaise sauce
·  ice cream/ sorbet
·  lasagna
·  mac & cheese
·  marinara/ fra diavolo sauce
·  meringue
·  muffins
·  mussels
·  pad thai
·  paella
·  pancakes/ waffles
·  piccata (style)
·  pie crust
·  pizza dough
·  pot pie
·  pretzel
·  quiche
·  ranch dressing
·  ratatouille
·  risotto
·  roulade
·  seafood stock
·  semifreddo
·  shrimp scampi
·  souffle
·  spinach artichoke dip
·  stuffing
·  succotash
·  tamales
·  tiramisu
·  tortillas
·  tuna tartare


What food do you think every home cook should know how to make without a recipe? Post your thoughts and I may add it to my list!

2 comments:

  1. You should add some sort of alternative burger like the Quinoa Burger from Burger Lounge http://burgerlounge.com/food/

    Always wanted to try it, but I knew actual meat would be better so never ordered one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about gourmet soups and grilled cheese sandwiches?

    ReplyDelete